Thursday, September 21, 2006

My Bike's Been Stolen!

Or so I thought on Tuesday morning.

Last week it rained (and rained and rained). Not like in Hong Kong where it's non-stop and gets harder and harder and you look out the window and think it's going to be cold and then when you go outside it's actually still stinking hot. Nope, here in Tokes it's COLD when it rains and your umbrella actually keeps you dry. But I digress.

Because it rained all week I caught the train to work each day instead of riding my bike. It takes longer to catch the train one stop (2 minutes between here and Azabu-juban) than it does to bike to work. Anyways, I was late (or worried about being late) almost every day last week. So on Tuesday morning I was pretty stoked when I looked out the window and saw sunshine and not a rain cloud in sight! A biking day! Hooray!

Then I remembered I had to pump up my tyres before riding to work. So it was a mad scramble down to the "parking place" to do that before I went to work. I ran out the door at 8.20am (I don't start till 9) and went to deal with The Bike.

Uh oh. No bike. I looked in all the usual spots. No bike. Maybe I have forgotten what it looks like? I thought. I mean, I only owned it for a week before I had to go back to the train. But I couldn't even find the registration sticker with our apartment number on it. Sh*t. Still no bike. I was getting a bit worried - no bike, I would have to go and tell the reception dudes that I couldn't find it. Then I saw the sign: "in the case of theft we would disclaim any responsibility." (I think that means don't bother telling us your bike is lost.)

Plus I had wasted so much time looking for my bike even if I got the train to work it was going to take forever and then I would be late again. Crap.

And then, as I was walking out of the parking place to reception, what did I see??? MY BIKE!!! Thank you, Bike God, I will be on time after all (I hope!). Thank goodness I didn't go and tell the dudes at reception my bike was missing. How embarassing if they walked outside and found it for me! I pumped up my tyres and went on my way (still wondering just who put my bike where it was .. I swear it wasn't me .. honest!)

Luckily I recently found out there is a "fast" way to ride to work. Turns out I've been going in a big loop till now and there is a much more direct way to get there from our place (i.e. down one road instead of a tiki tour through Roppongi). But as I was riding through Azabu-juban I saw a clock saying it was 8.45! Uh oh, perhaps I better ride a bit faster!

I arrived at the am/pm, locked my bike (just the wheel lock, I am too trusting to waste money on a real one and plus it looks like my worst worry is actually losing my bike, not someone else pinching it!) and raced up the stairs - not enough time to wait for the lift to the third floor!

Heaved myself through the door ready to make all sorts of apologies and be thrown in at the deep end (doesn't pay to be late on the first day of the week, you might end up responsible for the Nature Room or something) ... and looked at the clock. The big hand was only just past the 6. You know what that means, boys and girls. Yep. It was 8.30. The entire stolen bike ordeal, pumping of tyres and race to work had taken place in a grand total of 15 minutes.

At least I know I can get to work in 5 when I have to!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile