Thursday, September 07, 2006

Granny Bike

On Monday I was very generously given a bike by a friend from work. It's cream tank with 3 gears, a bell and a basket on the front and one of those nifty wheel locks on the back. It's been a pretty exciting week in which I have discovered we are only a 5 minute walk from the next subway station on our line, there are no pedestrian crossings over the main road within 500m of our street, drivers in Tokyo do not look for pedestrians or cyclists when approaching intersections and there are no bicycle pumps at the local ¥100 store. Oh, and people here are unable to walk in straight lines or hear bikes! (or their bells)

On Tuesday I had my first wipe out. Luckily it was on our street and almost directly outside Ark Hills. But it was extremely painful nevertheless. Not to mention excruciatingly embarassing. It has knocked my confidence a little, particularly considering the disturbing fact that noone wears a helmet here. I don't even have a clue where you would buy one. I suppose riding on the footpath/across pedestrian crossings means people feel they aren't so necessary. Plus one would look rather silly riding along in one's skirt and heels complete with matching sun parasol (or umbrella depending on conditions) and a stack hat.

So now, on Thursday, I am sporting a delightful bruise/graze down one arm, a painfully grazed toe and a slightly sprained ankle. My biggest disappointment was being unable to join K swimming on Tuesday afternoon as it took me so long to recover my composure! She now blames me for her falling asleep that afternoon. She didn't make it to the pool either. Maybe next week. Yesterday and today have punished me by being overcast and definitely not outdoor pool weather.

On a positive note I am now able to make it up the hills on the way to and from work without dismounting my bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile