Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A day in the life of Sarah

What have I done today???

Not much! Is the short answer! Work this morning; I'm finishing a little later now that I am an actual Teacher rather than Assistant. Still not entirely sure whether I wanted to agree to that, but here I am, planning lessons and making a fool of myself during circle time all over again!

I spent most of this afternoon dealing with trains: booking our tickets to Hiroshima for Saturday and trying to find a shop in Kamata, which isn't all that close to my place after all. I think I spent about 3 hours riding the subway this afternoon plus another hour or so queuing for the train and in the JR ticket line.

It amazed me how the Marunouchi Line train was so packed at 2.30pm today - standing room only. Where are all those people going in the middle of the day? Surely they weren't all headed to Shinjuku to book train tickets too?! (They weren't, the train was still just as full when I got off at Shinjuku a few minutes later). The Tokyo Metro system apparently carries an average of 5.69 million passengers per day. That's not to be confused with the other JR and Toei lines which also carry gazillions of passengers.

Let's compare that with the Paraparaumu line back in Wellington (since Tranz Metro doesn't have such easily available stats for the whole Wellington region) ... The Paraparaumu line carries (wait for it) "around 16000 passengers per day." More than 90% of those are during the two hour "peak" period - morning and evening combined.

A further comparison: I have yet to be delayed longer than a few minutes on any train here in Japan. Apparently it's rather a big deal if the trains are delayed here. Station staff greet you with a bow and a note for your employer explaining why you're late. Imagine the staff required for that performance every time the Tranz Metro between the Hutt and Wellington is delayed! (or not coming at all)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile