Thursday, August 17, 2006

セラ マンデイ

--> "Sera Mandei"

Or in other (English) words --> SARAH MUNDAY!

Yes, I have now been labelled in katakana. I went to the bank today and I think I have opened a bank account with Shinsei Bank. I mean I filled in the forms and gave them my ID stuff (I assume they copied it!) and they told me they will send me my new cash card in "7 - 10 days." So I guess I'll know how successful I was when it arrives. I don't even have an account number to show for it yet but I do have a whole lot of information to read through.

My attempt to deal with banking matters started off really well. I decided to do it all in Ginza as I thought the chances of people being able to help me in English would be slightly higher. As far as Mizuho Bank went that was certainly true. I was shown exactly where to go to cash my "traberrers checks" and it all went very smoothly. I simply filled in a form (of course!), counter-signed the cheques and was asked to take a seat. Lovely. A few minutes later I was presented with my Japanese yen and I was on my way again.

Unfortunately, even finding Shinsei Bank wasn't quite so simple. I had two options - or so I thought. The first was to find their "Bankspot" which is where you can open an account or use their ATMs. But try as I might I couldn't find the place! So next I looked for the "Platinum Center" which was near a different subway exit and on the 6th floor of Sapporo Building. Bingo. Up I went, sweating profusely by this stage as it was Super Hot today and I happened to be out and about in the 1 hour of sunshine amidst the thunderstorms. When I got up to the 6th floor I was very politely told that I needed to go to - you guessed it! - the Bankspot where they "open account only." Still, they gave me a nice colourful map and drew the directions on to help me out. In Japanese.

Turns out I was sposed to be looking near Exit C2, not C7 (my bad). However, it still wasn't that easy to find because the street was really quite small and not right next to the station exit like I originally thought. But I did find it in the end.

I think the staff (two of them) were slightly intimidated by this big white gaijin girl come to talk to them, but they were really nice. English wasn't really their strong point, but admittedly Japanese isn't mine so Big Ups to them! First they kept asking for my "ID card" even though on the website it clearly says you only need a certificate of alien registration (which I had) and your passport. My ID card won't be ready till mid-September and I wasn't going to wait for that so I just kept pointing at the certificate and smiling. I think it worked :) Ok Ok, please wait "sho sho." Excellent.

Next I was lead to a computer terminal and asked to input my details. Easy. Until I tried to click "Next" and it kept saying "First name required" - in kana! Uh oh. I don't know my name in Japanese, I said. So they tried to figure it out for me. Which is how they ended up with Sera Mandei ... I guess that's how my name sounds to them! I think it's my kiwi accent (non-Kiwis will probably by wondering why anyone else is surprised!). I had to explain that that was fine but the English definitely had to read "Sarah Munday." Ok, sorted.

I'm sure I will now find out that セラ マンデイ means something really rude or embarrassing ... although I have tried putting it into an online dictionary and it didn't seem to come up with anything too offensive! Anyhoo, according to the girl in the bank this is Very Important as anyone wanting to transfer money to me will need to provide my name in kana! Uh oh. I spose anyone here won't find that too difficult and noone at home is going to be sending me money in Japan (although do feel free to try!)

My to-do list is getting shorter. All I have left to do now is wait till my cash card arrives, wait till I can pick up my gaijin card and then get myself a phone, which I can't do until I have my bank account details so it'll just have to wait I spose.

And did I mention I got to pick the colour of my cash card?! They give you a choice of 32 colours. 5 different pinks! I chose Baby Face. It's brighter than it looks online :) It should match my new black umbrella with pink trim very nicely!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile