Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A spot of shopping

Today is Tuesday, house keeping day at the apartment, which was lovely when I arrived home to find fresh linen on the beds, new towels in the sparkling bathroom, clean floors and the toilet paper folded into that oh-so-cute triangle ... the downside however was that I had to make myself scarce for the morning since I didn't want to be hanging around while Housekeeping did their job.

I decided to go to Shinjuku and do Lonely Planet's walking tour. It's sposed to be a couple of K's long and LP reckons it takes a couple of hours! Well, including the time it took on the two trains and finding the right exit perhaps it took two hours but it was more like an hour, really. I finished up by finding a coffee shop and getting myself breakfast without speaking English at all! Japanese 101: All you have to do is point to the nicest looking picture and say, "kore o kudasai"! Easy peasy Japanesey!

Then I went back to the book shop mentioned in the walking tour and found the English books (7th floor). Maybe THATS why the tour takes two hours: I was sposed to stop there on the way! Treated myself to Alex Kerr's "Lost Japan" ... educational books about Japan don't count in the daily budget ;) I also checked out MUJI, but didn't buy anything (!) coz we'll be moving soon and I'm not sure what we need for the new place.

Next stop was Ginza. This time, being by myself, I wandered even more aimlessly and fossicked through a couple of shops selling Beautiful Things .. eg a whole shop selling paper and things made from paper! Fantastic!

Unfortunately it wasn't so pleasant wandering aimlessly in the drizzle and humidity that suddenly appeared today after a week of sunshine. Eventually I went to Hanamasa and bought a few things for this week's dinners and made my way home. Quite proud of myself for navigating the store and its contents when nothing is in English! (with the exception of the imported Italian tomatoes, pasta and beans!)

Finally it was after midday and I made my way back to Nihombashi. I managed to get a seat on the train (yippee!) which was a bit of a bonus since it was pretty packed. Then I realised why "my" seat had been empty: the girl next to me promptly fell asleep ON MY SHOULDER! Next her hand let go of her umbrella (uh oh!) and came to rest on my knee! I squirmed a bit and tried to move over (the other way) ...

Lucky for me her stop was coming up and suddenly at Higashi-Ginza she was wide awake and ready to walk off the train ... I don't understand how they do it! How can you be in such a deep sleep you are groping the person next to you and be aware enough to know the next stop is yours???

Perhaps she wasn't asleep at all but has some strange attraction to Fat White Chicks?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile