Monday, August 14, 2006

Lazy Munday Afternoon ....

Listening to the hum of the dryer ...

Isn’t it sad that it’s the middle of summer here and I am using the dryer almost every day?! Sadly, it’s one of the realities of apartment life: no outside space to hang your clothes - let alone your lovely white sheets – to dry in the sunshine. Still, at least we have a dryer that works (even if it takes a while) … I don’t know where I would hang all our clothes in here otherwise!

The other “sad” thing is how all my blog entries so far refer to my domestic chores, like the washing or grocery shopping or cooking or cleaning. However, I suppose it’s in keeping with the tai tai theme! I’m hoping that my horizons will be broadened when I start my new job (next Monday!), but until then these posts are going to have a bit of a recurring storyline.

Mike and I did get out and about on the weekend though. We walked from Nihombashi to Ginza on Saturday afternoon, stopping in at Takashimaya on the way. It was my first real look at their food department – WOW! Everything and anything you ever wanted to eat, and a few things you never knew you could eat all in one area … a foodie’s dream! We’d just eaten lunch and therefore managed to restrain ourselves from buying any of the divine looking chocolates, cakes, salmon, sashimi, sushi, Chinese dumplings, cheeses …….. honestly, the list is endless!

We had a brief look around the 4 floors of women’s fashion and the one floor of men’s (which was actually shared with the jewellery and watches) and then headed up to the Living department. I never knew Calvin Klein did linen! But they do. And in Takashimaya they even have half a floor devoted to the sale of gift certificates. There is actually a room (glass fronted, no less) where a row of attentive salespeople wait behind a desk to sell you gift certificates. They are standing, not talking, not whinging about their jobs or that b*tch that gets to fold the cK linens … just standing, politely, waiting for the wonderful customers to come and buy their gift certificates. Lovely.

We took the train home from Ginza and it was a good thing we did - the few raindrops that we felt on the way from the station to our place suddenly turned into thunderstorm complete with forked lightning. We watched the storm from the balcony as it got closer and closer to our block. Then as the lightning hit buildings nearby I kept running inside **eek!** ... it must have been a bad one though coz even Mike was a bit scared of the bolt that we're sure hit our building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile