Thursday, November 16, 2006

Long Time No See!

Sorry I've been pretty slack with the old blog this month, haven't I!

Well, last weekend was the much awaited and anticipated trip back to Honkers. I was a little worried it would be a big letdown and I would realise I have spent the past three months looking at our old life in Hong Kong through rose-tinted glasses ... BUT I have to say I had a fantastic time and, yes, I really DO like Hong Kong!

For a start I managed to spend way too much money mainly because the clothes FIT ME (AND looked good) and it is so EASY to shop there compared with here. When we first arrived in Hong Kong I thought there was a language barrier ... now I live in Japan. And not even in a small town ... I admire Laura and her time here even more than I did before!

So I arrived late Friday night, having been extremely lucky on my flight and having an entire row to myself which meant I could sleep as soon as dinner was over. Ali and Tez met me at the Airport Express which was really sweet .. and I had help with my suitcase up the escalator!

Unfortunately I woke up with a snotty nose and achey bones on Saturday - that cold had finally arrived ... but nothing a spot of shopping (and a few mugs of coffee, thanks Terry) couldn't fix. I sorted out my phone, established that Mike had remembered his PIN and met up with Naomi, Nick and Daisy for coffee and brunch. Hong Kong finally has a brunch cafe that serves healthy food - including corn fritters! YUM! Anyone who had brunch with me on my trip home in July will know all about my obsession with corn fritters ... and I definitely had my fill at eat right!

Next on the agenda was some serious shopping. Nomes, Kate and I hit IFC Mall for a couple of hours before I headed off to Causeway Bay on my own. I was pretty excited to find my love of shopping somehow rubbed off on Naomi while I've been away and she was just as enthusiastic as me about Zara's new season gear. Bliss.

Saturday was definitely the highlight of the trip though. Ali very kindly arranged for everyone to meet at i caramba! for dinner so there were 8 of us there in the end, sucking down margaritas and indulging in mexican food. Kiki had never had mexican before (apparently) but she seemed to really enjoy it ... or perhaps it was just the company she was in (and I'm not talking about yours truly!).

After dinner Nick, Nomes, Kate and I carried on to Aqua Bar in TST. If anyone is going to Hong Kong you really have to go there even if it's just for the Two Drink Minimum, the view is amazing and their cocktails are to die for ... I had the Aqua Queen and, yes, it really did put a sparkle in my eye! Our night finished with getting a taxi home, which seemed to take forever and involved a few "is this guy ripping us off?!" moments as we waiting in the crawling snake of traffic at the Central Tunnel ... but, whatever, the entire ride (including dropping the girls off at the Ferry Pier and then on up to MidLevels) cost about 20NZD ... I really miss cheap taxis!!!

Sunday was really just packing and getting down to the station to check in but I did manage to squeeze in some last minute shopping at good old Olympian City. Checked on the apartment (J had just had the cleaner in, nice!) and picked up the mail and even managed to retrieve a jacket from the laundry which I just didn't have time to pick up the morning I left for Japan.

I arrived home absolutely wrecked just before midnight on Sunday and pretty relieved to see Mike. It was a great trip though, even if it was a bit of a whirlwind. Made me realise that yes, I do love Hong Kong but also made me appreciate a few things about Japan too.

And the char siu bau were great too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Sarah Munday http://sarahjanem.bebo.com/
Technorati Profile